Saturday 23 February 2013

One Direction's Kiss You - Youtube Faceoff


Live Lounge is great and all but what I love most is trawling through Youtube to find the best cover versions of my favourite songs by unsigned or small-time artists. If you put the time in, you'll find so many different and innovative interpretations of the biggest hits right now... but who has the time for that I hear you say? Have no fear for that's what our Youtube Faceoff is all about. Previous posts have looked at artists as diverse as Macy GrayBritney SpearsAdele and Kesha. Today it's One Direction's turn!

'Kiss You' is the third single from the boys 'Take Me Home' album and it's an  addictive little pop number that's been in my head non-stop now for the last two months. As One Direction are insanely popular at the moment, I figured it would be easy to find hundreds of awesome versions of 'Kiss You' but that certainly wasn't the case. Actually, it turns out that every fan out there thinks that they can do an amazing cover, no matter how terrible they are. Saying that though, I did find some brilliant interpretations of 'Kiss You'. It just took longer than usual! Reacquaint yourself with the original first by clicking here.


First up today is Paulo Sousa's version of 'Kiss You', which is just simply a beautiful acoustic cover of the song. What I really like about Sousa is that he doesn't try too hard with the vocals until the end of the song and the whole appeal is in the warm tone of his voice. Also, he looks a bit like Zayn but that's just a bonus!



Next up is Morgan Wheeler, who does a great job of capturing the original songs energy with her bouncy vocal. What grabbed me most about Wheeler's version though is that she actually plays all of the instruments herself and I love how she shows this using a split-screen technique in the video. That girl has some serious talent!


So far I've only shared solo covers of 'Kiss You', but the original was of course sung by a group, so here's a male duet by DuoJKMusic (that's their username, I don't know their real names sorry). This pair brought a lot more emotion to their vocals than the majority of the covers that I found but what I really love about this version is that they've mashed 'Kiss You' with 'What Makes You Beautiful'. Two One Direction songs in one? It works brilliantly.



Finally, I wanted to share a more unusual interpretation of 'Kiss You'. Vicktor Taiwo has a very distinctive voice which sets his cover apart from the other versions on Youtube. The chilled production compliments his smooth vocals perfectly and I just love how different this version is from the original.  



It's hard to choose but in today's Youtube Faceoff, my favourite version of 'Kiss You' would have to be Paulo Sousa's, simply because I love the tone of his voice. Check out his Youtube account for some other brilliant covers. But which version was your favourite? And do you know any other great covers of 'Kiss You' which I should have included in today's post? Let me know by commenting, liking and sharing below. Thanks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment