Wednesday 9 January 2013

Be Careful! Your Hand! Top 10 Films of 2012: Sam's Picks


I was looking at some critics top ten list of the best films of the year and I realised, I haven't seen hardly any of these films. And this isn't because I chose not to go and see them but because most of them don't actually come out until late December or January, whats that about? Not to mention that my local cinema is about as likely to show Amour as they are to show a snuff film. But I have seen a lot of films this year, so this is my own personal top ten. Some may agree, most won't but I don't care. It was a hard job to pick ten from a year that's seen some amazing movies but here they are. 

10. The Hunger Games.


I loved the book and the film does a wonderful job of bringing it to the screen. It captures the tone of the book brilliantly with all its emotional depth and harrowing violence. Jennifer Lawrence is also perfect as Katniss. I'm looking forward to the sequel at the end of this year.

9. Dredd.


I didn't expect to like this film at all so I was very pleasantly surprise by Dredd. It reminded me of those old 80s science fiction action films that I grew up on, you know the ones that Arnold Schwarzenegger did, and I bloody love it.

8. The Life of Pi.


Ok, so I haven't read the book but I will... in a few years time. The stunning visuals blew my mind. Not only did this film look fantastic but it was gripping throughout and I was not bored once. The ending in particular is my favourite part so simple and beautiful.

7. Argo.


If you'd have told me ten years ago that Ben Affleck would have directed, produced and starred in one of the best films of the year, an Oscar front runner no less, I would have told you to go jump back up your mother. But blow me down, he's only gone and bloody done it.

6. ParaNorman.


Out of all the animated horror comdies that came out this year, I think it was three, this for me was by far the best. I loved the tone and the feel of the film. It has a great energy and is a perfect halloween film for kids and adults as well.

5. The Woman In Black


The Woman in Black is one of my favourite books and I loved the stage version, so my hopes and expectation were very high for the film version. Luckily, it didn't disappoint. This film takes the original story and gives it a few fresh twists and ideas that make this a brilliant adaptions that I loved.

4. Rust and Bone


I love Marion Cotillard. She is amazing in this brilliant film of an unconventional and moving love story. Again it was a surprise for me how much I loved this film and I can't recommend it enough.

3. Prometheus.


There was so much hype around this film and then so much criticism, so many unanswered questions, but you know what? I didn't care; I thought it was exciting and visually stunning. I haven't seen a 3D film that looks this breathtaking since Avatar. Also I loved Noomi Rapace's all over the place accent.

2. Sliver Linings Playbook.


David O Russell has crafted a wonderful feel-good romantic comedy with a twist. This subverted version of the classic boy meets girl tale is what a hollywood film should be. Also the cast is all outstanding, especially Jennifer Lawrance who steals the film completely.

1. Titanic 3D.


To mark the hundred year anniversary of the sinking of the titanic, Mr Cameron saw an opportunity to pay respect to the dead and make a shit ton of money. What people seem to forget is just how bloody good this movie is. Seeing it again in 3D only made it better and the sinking is still the most exciting thing I've ever seen on the big screen.

So what do you think? What are your best films of 2012? If you think I left out any major players or even just think some choices are plain wrong, then please let me know by commenting, liking and sharing below, thanks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment