Friday 23 November 2012

30 Rock: I Will Miss You.


We've laughed, giggled, snorted and even caught ourselves lizzing a little bit. But like all good things, it must come to an end as the much loved and critically acclaimed sitcom 30 Rock is coming to an end. So it's a final goodbye to the mentor and mentie relationship of Liz and Jake, the crazy antics of Jenna, Tracy's inappropriate comments and the sweet but creepy Kenneth. I shall miss it greatly as will a few other people I'm sure. But before I do say goodbye, I'm taking a trip down memory lane to remember the good times and see why I love this show so bloody much.

All the way back in 2006, Tina Fey pitched an idea for a TV sitcom set on a cable news show, focussing on the behind-the-scenes antics of the anchors and crew, and she was told to go away and think of something better. 'Write what you know' she was told, so like any writer stuck for an idea, she wrote about what she knew, her role on SNL as head writer. So it came to pass and '30 Rock' was born. I won't lie to you; the first time I watched the show, I didn't really get it, I mean I didn't know how I felt about it, which I imagined is what most people think on first viewing of the show. I'd heard what a critical hit it was and I was a fan of Tina Fey's work, thanks to 'Mean Girls', so I had high expectations and I brought the DVD, so after that first episode I did feel a little disappointed but I stuck with it, determined to get my moneys worth, and I'm so pleased that I did.
 
 
In the second episode when they're all on Tracy's yacht that wasn't his yacht and Jenna randomly breaks into singing 'New York State of Mind', I was instantly in love. And luckily for me, I was two seasons behind so I quickly went out and bought the second one, which received even more acclaim and accolades.
 
 
By season two the show really found its feet, balancing the wacky characters and storylines together perfectly, with a sprinkle of parodies, topical events and cut away gags that put the show above its contemporaries. But with the 2008 writers strike, many shows suffered, by getting cut short and some like the amazing 'Arrested Development' were cancelled altogether. But thanks to a downpour of awards, not to mention Fey's highly successful stint on SNL as Sarah Palin, '30 Rock' was secure for a return for season 3, which in my opinion has to be my favourite outing, with a run of fantastic episodes, a string of exceptional guest stars including Steve Martin, as a millionaire interested in Liz under house arrest and Oprah Winfrey as a drug induced hallucination as Oprah Winfrey, and countless others who get together to record a charity single to find a kidney for Jacks Dad, in perhaps the shows best season finale ever.
 
                    
 
But no one was watching, well no one in Germany anyway. Yet despite few viewers, the show carried on. After slightly losing its way in season 4, the show was back on form by season 5 to 6. I love this show and I loved Liz's would be TV show based on her top ten selling book, 'Dealbreakers'. I really enjoyed that storyline and felt it was prematurely cut short. I loved the live shows, and while they were different from its original formula, it still worked brilliantly and they are some of favourite episodes ever. Oh, and of course the 'Queen of Jordan' spin off shows were hilarious. I'd actually watch that show.
 
                  
 
Because of the lameness of UK TV, the final season of '30 Rock' won't be on over here until some time next year. In a way it's good because it extends '30 Rocks' life a little bit but I grow impatient for it, I want more '30 Rock' and I want it now. I look forward to seeing what Tina Fey gets up to next, another TV series? A new movie? A second book? I'd be happy with any or all of these things but till then I shall re watch some classic episodes of my favourite TV show of the last ten years. I will miss you '30 Rock', but I'll always have the memories. Oh, and the DVDs.
 
What do you think? Will you miss 30 Rock as much as me? Have you even seen 30 Rock? If not, then you should, go do it, do it now!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment