Sunday 23 September 2012

The Casual Vacancy: J.K. Rowling.

              
 
Psst, have you heard? J.K. Rowlings got a new book coming out. I know right, I haven't heard much about it either, it's been shrouded in secrecy for the last year. The fact that it's her first post-Potter book seems to have something to do with it. Maybe it's the fear of disappointment, maybe she doesn't want to be as high profile any more and who could blame her after the insanely dizzying high of success she achieved with her last seven books, how could she ever top it? Quite simplY she can't, and she doesn't even need to try.
 
 
If there was a measure of success for an author then J.K. Rowling would be the top end of the scale. A hugely popular series of seven books each breaking the records set by the last, which were turned in to the most successful film franchise of all time. Inspiring toys, games, sweets, a theme park and even studio tour. All this from the mind of one woman, now that is a hell of lot a pressure to put on one persons shoulders. It's no wonder the pressure drove her to therapy. Anyway, enough talk, lets have a look at what we know about this new book then shall we?  
 
"When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?"
 
Oooh, fascinating stuff. Now lets take look at the book cover.
 
 
I love it, it has a real retro feel to it, like an old Agatha Christie from the 60s or 50s. I like the simple design of the box with the cross, the voting slip for the parish council obviously, but I hope it has a double meaning and there is something a little darker under the idyllic exterior of the village. Reviews for the book itself won't be released until Thursday morning when the book finally arrives so we'll just have to wait until then to find out what it's all about and of course, if its any good.  I read some comment from someone who said they wouldn't read it because they didn't want to think less of the author because they loved Harry Potter so much, well that's just stupid. I for one  am greatly looking forward to reading new material from Mrs. Rowling, I'm excited to see what she can do outside of the world of Harry Potter and I have great faith she won't disappoint her loyal fans.
 
Come back soon for my review and feel free to follow, comment, plus and share. Thanks.
 

2 comments:

  1. For almost anyone who has read the Harry Potter series, JK Rowling became 'my favourite' or 'one of my favourite' authors. But 'The Casual Vacancy' is not the least bit like Harry Potter. Firstly, it is an adult book. So, maybe adults will really enjoy this book but its not all that great for teenagers. The storyline is okay, not too bad, not too great. MostJK Rowling fans have already finished this book so yeah it's way too late for my review, but i guess there are a few of you out there who yet have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. I love J K Rowling, but i'm not gonna lie, I didn't enjoy this book. It wasn't what I expected at all and I'm ashamed to say I didn't even finish it, I just didn't care. But I still love you J K!!

    ReplyDelete