Sunday 2 September 2012

Glee - Songs That Santana and Kurt Should Sing and Songs They Should Never Have Sung




There are only 11 days to go now until Glee season 4 premieres in the US! In the last post, we looked at the characters of Tina and Artie, discussing what songs they should be singing in the upcoming season and what songs they should never have sung in the first place. We're now on the third poster in the countdown and this one features two of the most popular members.



 Santana Lopez:

Should sing; Something's Got A Hold On Me by Etta James

Starting off as a minor character, Santana quickly gained more exposure as the seasons went by and she has ended up easily being my favourite character on the show. She's vulnerable but has sass and has a powerful voice which can also be soft and sweet. I would love to hear Naya Rivera sing this timeless Etta James song because if she can pull it off, the whole thing would just sound effortless and combines all the things I love most about her attitude and her voice.


Should never have sung; La Isla Bonita by Madonna

It was tough for me to pick any song because I am just in love with her voice but this duet with Ricky Martin just did not work for me. Don't get me wrong; Ricky was a great guest star and the two of them looked good together but I didn't like the way that they tried to modernise the song with the lifeless production they chose and Santana doesn't stand out in this one as much as normal.



Kurt Hummel:

Should sing; Dancing On My Own by Robyn

Kurt is a great singer, although his style is not necessarily always to my taste. He has done some brilliant reinterpretations of songs in the past though, such as 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. I always much prefer him singing pop to broadway so I thought this song would be perfect because its like a ballad in the disguise of a dance track. Dancing On My Own is all about those feelings of being isolated and alone which is something that we have seen Kurt relate well to in the past.



Should never have sung; Le Jazz Hot by Julie Andrews

Kurt is great at singing songs originally performed by both men and women but in this duet, he tries to sing both the male and female parts with himself. I get what the writers were trying to do by dressing him up as both a man and a woman and its great that such a fluid portrayal of sexuality can nowadays be accepted on TV but I just didn't like his version of the song. The whole thing ended up coming off for me as trying a bit too hard. See what you think.



Keep coming back for daily updates in the countdown to Glee season 4 to see if you agree with the choices I make. And don't forget to tell me what you think too! Subscribe, google plus it, etc. 11 days to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment